Cooking Rice to Reduce Arsenic Levels
- Click HERE to learn how to cook rice to minimise arsenic contamination.
Organic Food Suppliers
- Dunn & Walton: Fabulous home delivery service for organic groceries. They also have a great store and cafe in Doubleview.
- Organic on Charles: An organic grocery store in North Perth.
- Manna Wholefoods & Cafe: A whole-foods cafe and grocery store in South Fremantle.
- Strange Grains: A gluten-free bakery that supplies GF bread to IGAs and health food shops. You can also visit their bakery in Shenton Park.
- Naturis: Rice Loaf, Buckwheat Loaf, Corn Bread, Rice and Sultana Loaf.
Safer and More Sustainable Seafood Brands
- Vital Choice
- The Canadian Way
- Australian Marine Conservation Society: Get your free copy of the Sustainable Seafood Guide, or download the app.
Food Storage Options
- Stainless steel containers, lunch-boxes and thermoses (Sustain-A-Stacker, Planet Lunchbox, LunchBots, Kids Konserve, Onyx, Klean Kanteen, Thermos).
- Glass containers (Decor, Life Factory, mason jars).
- Stainless steel or glass drink bottles (Klean Kanteen, Smash, S’Well, Fressko, Contigo).
- Reusable beeswax and vegan wraps (Honey Bee, Bee Green Wraps, Wrappa).
- Reusable (non-plastic) coffee cups (Joco, Keep Cup, Thermos, Bodum).
Deodorants and Fragrances
- Noosa Basics Deodorant Stick: An all-natural but effective deodorant, free from nasty ingredients like phthalates, aluminium and endocrine disruptors.
- No Pong (stocked at Perth Health & Fertility): An all-natural deodorant paste, free from phthalates, aluminium and other undesirable ingredients. Easy to apply and lasts for hours.
- Biologika Deodorant (stocked at most health food stores): A natural deodorant with no aluminium or nasty chemicals; does not leave a white mark on clothes or under the armpit. Our favourite scent is Mystic Wish.
- State of Mind Apothecary Fragrances: Essential-oil based, roll-on fragrances available in four beautiful scents (Adore, Activate, Align and Attract) – Phthalate and toxin free.
- 123 Nourish Me ‘Hello Sunshine’ Sunscreen: SPF 30, broad-spectrum, 2-hours water resistant sunscreen; preservative and paraben free, available in both face-stick or sunscreen form.
- Graham’s SunClear Sunscreen: 2-hours water-resistant, broad spectrum, SPF 30+ sunscreen. Suitable for all skin types. Widely available in health food stores.
- Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen: All natural, SPF 30, 3-hours water resistant sunscreen, suitable for sensitive skin; free from petrochemicals and synthetic fragrances.
- Wotnot Natural Sunscreen: A gentle, SPF 30 sunscreen, made from all natural and organic ingredients; free from artificial fragrances, petrochemicals, parabens and preservatives.
- Eco Logical Sunscreen: SPF 30+, broad-spectrum, 3-hours water resistant, hypoallergenic and non-greasy. Stocked at Shop Naturally and Nourished Life.
- UV Natural Sunscreen: Plant-based, SPF 30+ sunscreen; preservative and fragrance-free.
Skin and Haircare
- Sukin: Widely available at Coles, Woolworths, Priceline, Chemist Warehouse and health food stores, the Sukin haircare range is free from mineral oils, phthalates, parabens, EDTA and other harsh chemicals.
- Miessence: A lovely range of organic skin cleansers, moisturisers, shampoos and conditioners, made with plant-based ingredients like calendula, aloe vera and chamomile.
- Hurraw Lipbalms: Lovely moisturising lip-balms, made from all natural ingredients like cold-pressed almond oil, cacao butter and coconut oil. Many flavours available (vanilla and coconut are particularly yummy!).
- Stem Organics: Australian-made natural skin-care products made with organic ingredients and no petrochemicals, parabens, synthetic fragrances and propylene glycol.
- Gaia Skincare: A mostly organic skincare range free from parabens and synthetic fragrances. They also have ‘Made for Men’ range of shaving gels, creams and haircare.
- Bernier Pharmaceuticals SolarCare (stocked at Perth Health and Fertility): An everyday moisturiser containing Vitamin B3, to help reduce sun damage and acne.
Online Stores for Makeup and Beauty Products
- Ecostore: A low chemical, eco-friendly brand stocked in Coles, Woolworths and many health food stores. A great option for household cleaning supplies, such as laundry and dishwashing products, multi-purpose cleaner and even skin/hair-care.
- Abode: Plant and mineral-based laundry, kitchen and bathroom products, free from phthalates, petrochemicals and harsh detergents.
- Kin Kin Naturals: An environmentally-friendly, low chemical brand of laundry and dish-washing products, free from SLS, LAS and other harsh ingredients.
- Dr Bronner’s: Organic and fair-trade multi-purpose soaps and skincare products. Widely available in health-food stores and online.
- EnviroCare Earth: A large range of eco-friendly, plant-based bathroom, kitchen and laundry products, free from synthetic fragrances, EDTA, parabens and petrochemicals.
- EWG Skin Deep: A database where you can search common cosmetics ingredients to check for potential health concerns or hazards.
- Building Biology: A great resource for learning how to improve the health of your home and reduce your chemical exposure.
- The Clean Fifteen and The Dirty Dozen: Get your copy of the EWG’s 2017 Clean Fifteen and Dirty Dozen.
- Plastics: A great resource form Nicola Bijlsma on which plastics are best to avoid.
- Personal Care Products: Another great resource from Nicole Bijlsma about harmful ingredients to avoid in personal care products.
- Nourished Life: A large online stockist of toxin-free, natural health, beauty and household cleaning products.
- Shop Naturally: An online shop for natural health and beauty products, food storage containers and cleaning supplies.
- Biome: Eco-friendly, BPA-free food storage containers, lunch boxes and drink bottles, as well as low chemical bath and beauty products.
- Flora and Fauna: For eco-friendly, plant-based beauty products, household supplies and reusable storage containers.
Preconception, Pregnancy, Birth and Breastfeeding
- Endocrine Disruptors: An article from the Jean Hailes foundation highlighting research on endocrine disruptors negative impact on fertility
- Decline in Male Fertility: An SBS report on the study highlighting the decline in Western men’s sperm counts.
- 6 Steps to Reduce BPA and Phthalates in Foods: An easy resource from the SilentSprings organisation.
- Phthalates: Information from the PROJECT TENDR, targeting environmental neurodevelopmental risks, helping parents understand what chemicals may negatively impact their babies health and brain development.
- Mobile Phones and Radiation: Radiation from mobile founds has been found to impair sperm count, motility and morphology. Here is a guide by the EWG to help you reduce your exposure.
- Egg and Sperm Health Checklist: Everything you do, the chemicals you are exposed to, the nutrients you get from your food, the lifestyle choices that you make can all impact on the health of the developing sperm and the maturing egg. Have a look at this check list to help identify factors that may be impacting on your fertility.
- Breastfeeding Confidence. In case you missed it in our pregnancy section this is a great resource from the Australian Breastfeeding Association that helps women get ready to breastfeed and have a better idea of what to expect.
- Is my baby getting enough breastmilk? A great post from the Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Baby’s Feeding Cues: A great resource for mums to learn how to identify when bub is ready to breastfeed.
- Australian Breastfeeding Association: As Australia’s leading authority on breast-feeding, the ABA provide information, support, resources and advocacy for breastfeeding women. They also have an online forum where you can chat to other women about breastfeeding.