With easter just around the corner it’s time for a new chocolate recipe! This gorgeous Chocolate Beetroot Cake recipe might be gluten free, sugar free and dairy free but it’s definitely full of flavour. I baked this cake for my little brother’s birthday last week and everyone loved it. This is huge in my family because they can sniff out an avocado mousse a mile away! This cake has a deep, earthy taste and the beetroots and dates make it dense and moist.
Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 3 large beetroots cooked and pureed (set aside 1/2 cup for the icing)
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup good quality oil
- 1/2 cup dates pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 dates pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup caco
- 1/2 cup beetroot
- 2 tbsp honey
- Soak dates in water and bicarb soda until soft (about 15 mins), then blend until smooth (I used my hand held blender but a mini food processor or Nutribullet will work too).
- Beat eggs, oil, honey and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Stir date mixture through.
- Sift rice flour, cocoa, baking powder into a separate bowl, then fold it into the date mixture.
- Add beetroot and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into greased/lined 20cm round cake tin.
- Bake at 180C (160C for a fan forced oven) for approximately 45 mins, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Rest the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Blend icing ingredients together until smooth.
- You'll know when it’s ready because the mixture will look smooth and velvety.
- Pour or spread over cake, and enjoy!