We’ve got another soup recipe this month as so many of our patients love being able to make up a big batch to have ready-to-go as a healthy meal option in winter. This recipe is for a classic veggie and bean soup, and is an absolute staple for those colder months. Preparing meals ahead of time is a great way to stay on track with your nutrition plan and health goals, so is something we encourage many of our patients to do.
This soup is wonderfully nutrient rich and can be included in your diet for so many reasons. Not only is it yummy, but it’s a great one for weight loss and is also fibre rich, meaning it’s a great option for those who struggle with constipation or high cholesterol levels as well. Lastly, it’s the perfect warming meal for anyone rundown with a cough or cold!
With this Veggie and Two Bean Soup, you can customise the ingredients according to what you have on hand – I also like it with leek, pumpkin and cannellini beans as well, so give it a go and see what combination you like!
Veggie and Two Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion peeled and diced
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2-3 medium celery stalks topped, tailed and diced (see note below about the leaves)
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium-large sweet potato peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes diced into cubes
- 400g tin of chickpeas rinsed and drained (or use 240g freshly cooked)
- 400g tin of butter beans rinsed and drained (or use 240g freshly cooked)
- 1 dry bayleaf
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- 0.5-1 L filtered water or more stock, depending on taste preference and how strong your stock is
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, over a medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients (excluding the salt and pepper) and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until all the veggies are cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bayleaf, and enjoy!