This pikelet recipe, and various variations of it, has been going around the internet for a while now, but as so many of our patients ask us for great, healthy breakfast recipes, we thought we better share it here as well!
This is a great recipe for busy parents, as it is quick to whip up, requires no fancy ingredients and can be adjusted to suit your flavour preferences. It also works well for those who like a light but satisfying breakfast, with a good balance of protein and carbohydrates to keep energy and blood sugar levels stable. Fortunately, it’s also allergen friendly for those of you on gluten, dairy or nut free diets.
These pikelets can be enjoyed on their own, or to mix things up, we’ve also listed some different toppings below. Enjoy!
1 large banana (ripe, but not overly ripe)
- In a bowl, mash the banana with a fork until smooth. Whisk in the eggs until well combined.
- Grease a large saucepan with a small splash of olive oil. Heat over a medium heat.
- Pour the banana-egg mixture into the frypan and cook for 60-90 seconds, before flipping to cook the other side.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Variations and Serving Options
- For a cinnamon variation, add a pinch of cinnamon to the mixture before cooking.
- For a vanilla twist, add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to the batter before cooking.
- Top with sliced banana and nut butter for a heartier brekky (this option is not nut-free).
- Drizzle with tahini for a serve of healthy fats.
- Enjoy with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and some berries for a bright and colourful option.