I recently came across this fantastic Sweet Potato and Coconut Bread on the website The Nutrition Guru and The Chef. It’s a delicious high-protein, blood-sugar anchoring snack that can be served up with breakfast, for morning tea or as an after school snack. It’s super moist, gluten-free, dairy-free and just the right amount of sweetness to please the kids without causing sugar-induced chaos! If you like it as much as my family did, you might want to double the recipe 🙂
2 cups (200g) almond meal (or freshly-ground almonds)*
½ cup desiccated coconut (try to find the preservative-free varieties, like the Macro Organic brand)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 ½ cups (180g) grated sweet potato
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey (if using maple syrup, you may like to add an extra 1-2 tbsp for extra sweetness)
1 tbsp white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
*If grinding the almonds yourself, make sure they’re ground very finely before adding the other ingredients!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Combine the almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and sweet potato in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate jug, briefly whisk the four eggs. Add the olive oil, maple syrup and vinegar, and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and using a wooden spoon, stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan, flatten and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until your skewer comes out clean and the loaf is golden-brown.
- Allow to cool on an airing rack before slicing.
This Sweet Potato and Coconut Bread is perfect on its own, toasted, or served up with almond butter, tahini or your other favourite nut butter. For extra crunch, you can add in some walnuts or pecans before cooking, or a handful of organic raisins for a little extra sweetness.