This healthy breakfast granola was created to help our patients choose delicious and nutritious breakfast options, to ensure they are starting the day off on the right foot. A healthy breakfast is particularly important to stabilise blood sugar levels in children, to prevent spikes and crashes in energy levels and mood. You can read our blog on the importance of choosing a healthy breakfast for children in this article here.
3 cups rolled oats (approximately 300g)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (if using flaked coconut, add 1/4 cup extra)
120g raw almonds, roughly chopped
90g raw, pecans, roughly chopped
1-2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
4 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven the 125°C.
- Combine oats, coconut, almonds, pecans, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. In a separate mug, combine vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, ensuring everything is well mixed through.
- Spread evenly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake till golden (approximately 50-60 minutes), stirring every 15-20 minutes to ensure the granola cooks evenly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before transferring to an airtight glass or stainless steel container for storage.
This healthy breakfast granola is really versatile, in that you can add in different nuts, spices and other ingredients, based on what you have on hand. Some suggestions include:
- Hemp seeds, pepitas or sunflower seeds
- Cashews, hazelnuts or macadamias
- Dried ginger, all spice or nutmeg
- Sultanas, dried apricots or dried figs (if using dried fruit, make sure it is preservative-free, and add it in afterbaking!)
You can serve this granola with natural yoghurt, coconut yoghurt, on top of a smoothie bowl, or with fresh fruit and our delicious Cashew Milk.
We like to cook the granola at a low oven temperature for longer, to prevent damage to the healthy fats in the almonds and pecans. If you prefer, you can leave the nuts out, cook the granola at a warmer temperature (150°C or so) for less time, and add the nuts in once the cooked mix has cooled down.