I love starting my day with a banana smoothie because they are so quick, simple and versatile! They are a great way to get your fruit and fibre in, and can be a really satisfying breakfast, as long as you include enough protein. In this recipe, the protein comes from the almonds, cashews and yoghurt content. Other protein options include combinations of:
– Seeds: Chia, hemp, pumpkin, flax, sesame etc
– Nuts or Nut Butters: Almonds, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, natural peanut butter etc.
You can be adventurous with this banana smoothie as well – throw in some frozen mango, fresh berries or even a lime; I’ve listed some other combos below. If you have any leftovers, you can always freeze it in an icy pole mould to make a quick summer snack. Hope you enjoy experimenting with this one!
Ingredients (serves 1)
2 small-medium bananas, frozen
100g natural Greek yoghurt
150ml non-dairy milk (see note below*)
Optional: 2-3 ice cubes
As an optional extra, you could add in your pre- and probiotics (e.g. FOS or partially hydrolysed guar gum)
*I like to make this recipe with our delicious Cashew Milk, but you can also use other non-dairy milks, such as Coco Quench, almond milk or rice milk.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or Thermomix, until smooth. If using a Thermomix, it is best to blend the nuts first, and then add in the remaining ingredients.
- If the smoothie is too thick for your liking, you can always add a little extra milk or water, to achieve your desired consistency.
- Frozen bananas, almond butter, hemp seeds, cacao powder, non-dairy milk
- Bananas, frozen blueberries and raspberries, almonds, Greek yoghurt, non-dairy milk
- Frozen bananas, mango, Greek yoghurt, non-dairy milk and passionfruit (stirred through after blending)