Splash of extra virgin olive oil
1 large brown onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 small bird’s eye chilli, deseeded if preferred for less heat!
1 large carrot, finely diced (or grated)
1 large red capsicum, finely diced
6 coriander sprigs, leaves and stalks, finely chopped
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed (ideally BPA free tins)
1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed (ideally BPA free)
1 tin diced tomatoes (ideally BPA free tin)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp vegetable stock paste
1/2 cup water or stock – if needed to thin mixture
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes more (stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn).
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook over a low-medium heat for 25-35 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and the mixture has thickened a bit. If you are serving in a wrap or on corn chips, you may want to cook it a little longer for a dryer mix. If serving alone or on brown rice etc, you may wish to add a little extra water or stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (as well as extra spices if you prefer a hotter dish), and serve.
This Chilli Non Carne is really versatile, and can be served on rice, in a wrap, with corn chips, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
Some of my favourite toppings are:
– Fresh diced cucumber, tomato, avocado and capsicum
– Shredded lettuce
– Sour cream and chives (except if you need it to be dairy free)
– Grated cheese (except if you need it to be dairy free)