Splash of extra virgin olive oil
2 medium brown onions, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tsp curry powder (Clive of India Authentic Curry Powder)
1.5 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp Mexican Chilli Powder (Masterfoods)
1/2-1 tsp paprika
1 large carrot, diced
2 medium capsicums (orange, yellow or red), diced
4 tins kidney beans, drained and rinsed (ideally BPA free tins) – Keep one tin separate for blending.
2 tins of diced tomatoes (ideally BPA free tins)
1 cube vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes more (stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn).
- Add the diced carrot, capsicums and three of the drained/rinsed tins of kidney beans.
- Blend the fourth tin of drained/rinsed kidney beans, and add to the saucepan, along with the died tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Cook over a low-medium heat for 25-35 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and the mixture has thickened a bit. If you are serving in a wrap or on corn chips, you may want to cook it a little longer for a dryer mix. If serving alone or on brown rice etc, you may wish to add a little extra water or stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (as well as extra spices if you prefer a hotter dish), and serve.
This Chilli Non Carne is really versatile, and can be served on rice, in a wrap, with corn chips, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
Some of my favourite toppings are:
– Fresh diced cucumber, tomato, avocado and capsicum
– Shredded lettuce
– Sour cream and chives (except if you need it to be dairy free)
– Grated cheese (except if you need it to be dairy free)