The perfect cracker! These Lentil and Almond Crackers are a wonderful accompaniment to soup, avocado, goat’s cheese, hummus or just perfect on their own. They are so simple to make and far cheaper than store bought versions. Unlike most store bought versions, they are also gluten-free, and don’t contain any stabilisers, emulsifiers, artificial flavours or vegetable oils. As they contain lentils, flaxseeds and almond meal, they are also a higher in protein than your average white flour cracker.
400g can lentils, rinsed and drained (if using dried lentils, cook for 20 minutess until soft and drain well)
1/2 cup (60g) flax meal (ground flaxseeds)
1/2 cup (70g) buckwheat flour
1/2 cup (60g) almond meal (store bought or freshly ground)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup (65g) cold pressed coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp water, plus extra for brushing
2 tbsp poppy seeds, nigella seeds, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius. Place lentils in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place all ingredients (except water for brushing and seeds used for topping) in a bowl and add lentils. Mix to combine and mould into a ball. Place the dough in the fridge for 15 mins to set.
- Once ready to roll, divide dough in half and roll to 5 mm thick between two pieces of baking paper.
- Cut into rectangles 5cm x 6cm in size, glaze with extra water and sprinkle with topping seeds of your choice.
- Place on baking trays and bake for 15-18 minutes until crisp. Set aside to cool on trays and serve with yummy healthy condiments (some suggestions have been listed below).
- Homemade guacamole (mashed avocado, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper etc)
- Zucchini hummus
- Fresh tomato salsa
(The recipe for these Lentil and Almond Crackers was adapted from the Donna Hay ‘Fresh + Light’ Autumn 2016)