On a recent trip to my lovely Chiropractors Office I found this wonderful banana bread recipe. I baked it that afternoon with the boys and it was gone in a flash! This makes a great snack, an addition to lunch or even an indulgent breakfast slice. Best of all it is SUPER quick to make.
4 over-ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of honey
1 cup brown rice flour (or gluten free plain flour*)
1 cup almond meal
1-1.5 tsp cinnamon (use 1.5 tsp if you like a very cinnamon-y banana bread)
1 tsp bicarb of soda
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped dates (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
*I’ve tried this recipe with Orgran’s Gluten Free Flour which worked really well. This GF flour blend is available at Woolworths, Coles and many health food shops.
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a large loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mix together the bananas, eggs, vanilla and honey with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the almond meal, flour, cinnamon, bicarb of soda and salt. Fold in the dates and walnuts if you are using.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin. Bake for 45-55 mins, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
This banana bread is delicious fresh, or it can be toasted and enjoyed warm.