I have finally cracked the muesli bar jackpot! I cannot tell you how many recipes I have tried, only to find the Masterchef judges in my house (i.e. my three children) give me a score of big fat ‘zero’ and the whole lot ends up in the bin. Nothing worse than opening the lunch boxes at the end of the day, only to find them still filled with food; an incredible waste of food and money! Well, I have finally found the winner modified from a Donna Hay recipe, which required a little tweaking to make it naturopathic friendly. Hope you enjoy these gluten free muesli bars as much as we did.
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup rapadura sugar
1 cup quinoa flakes*
1 cup puffed rice
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup natural almonds, chopped
1/2 cup organic raisins (preservative and vegetable oil free!)
*Quinoa flakes can be purchased from the Macro section at Woolworths, or your health food store. If you don’t need this recipe to be wheat free, you can use 2 cups rolled oats.
**For a nut-free version, substitute 1 cup of sunflower seeds for the almonds.
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Place oil, honey and sugar in a small saucepan and heat until combined and melted. Add to dry ingredients.
- Press into a slice pan lined with baking paper. Press down with the back of a spoon to compress and place in oven to bake for 25 mins.
- When cooked, press flat again with the back of a spoon.
- Cut into bars when cool and store in a covered glass or stainless steel container.
Note: This recipe makes approximately 12-16 bars (depending on the size you cut them).
Hope you enjoy!