The burger that rocks our house!
These bean burgers are an absolute winner with my family. They are super easy to throw together so when I have run out of inspiration after a crazy night of the boy’s Teeball or soccer training, these are sure to satisfy hungry tummies. Nutritionally they tick all the right boxes; high in nutrients, full of vegetables and delicious. My lovely friend Claire gave me this recipe so every time I make them I think of working out with her and how much fun burpees can be with a mad Scottish friend – THANK YOU Scotland!
90g rolled oats
2-3 slices grain bread (works well with gluten free bread, such as the Strange Grains brand)
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
A big handful fresh parsley
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (also works well with chickpeas)
70g sunflower seeds
60g slivered almonds
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1.5 tsp chilli (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place oats and bread into food processor and process into crumbs. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in in olive oil until soft.
- Place the carrots, beans, parsley and cooked onion/garlic in food processor and process until combined.
- Add egg, sunflower seeds, almonds, olive oil, soy sauce, chilli, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and process until well combined.
- Add oat and bread mixture, combine well. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Shape into 8 patties. Wipe pan with a little avocado or olive oil and gently fry patties for 3-5 minutes, until each side is well browned.
I am sure these are great in a bun but we don’t bother; we serve them with a big side salad and a plate of homemade chips and baked sweet potato. We also sometimes top them with guacamole or my famous Magic Dressing ( 1 clove of garlic chopped, 1 big tsp whole grain mustard, a big swig of olive oil and a big dollop of Greek yoghurt, all whisked together).
This recipe was adapted from Make it Perfect.