A delicious, easy bread that is wheat free, dairy free and full of protein!
I found this recipe yesterday when I was having an adjustment at my lovely Chiropractors! I don’t generally eat bread, but every now and then I like the idea of having a full-bodied, dense, satisfying piece.
Being a busy mum I am always a fan of easy recipes and this one is bizarrely simple, basically you just throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. The original Life-Changing Loaf recipe and photo is from the lovely My New Roots website. After I had a wonderful chiropractic adjustment. I raced home to see if it really could be as easy as it looks. It was! I think it is also quite life-changing as I now have a recipe I can throw together for a hearty meal to have with a soup!
1 cup (135g) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (90g) flaxseeds
1/2 cup (65g) hazelnuts or almonds
1 1/2 cups (145g) rolled oats
2 Tbs chia seeds
4 Tbs pysllium seeds husks (3 Tbs if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 Tbs maple syrup
3 Tbs melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cups (350ml) water
- Preheat oven to 175° Celsius.
- Combine all dry ingredients, stir well. In a separate bowl, whisk water, maple syrup and oil together.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is more manageable).
- Put into a loaf tin lined well with baking paper. Smooth top with the back of a spoon.
- Let loaf sit on the counter for at least 2 hours or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready it should retain its shape when you pull on the baking paper.
- Place loaf in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the bread from the loaf tin, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing. Store bread in a well-sealed container for up to five days. this loaf can also be sliced and then frozen.