This Rainbow Bean Salad is a beautifully colourful dish – high in fibre and plantbased protein! It also keeps well for lunch the next day.
Ingredients (serves 6)
200g green beans, washed and trimmed
1 red or orange capsicum, washed
1 small red onion, optional (kids may prefer spring onion)
300g fresh corn kernels, cooked
400g tin kidney beans, drained and washed (about 240g once drained)
400g tin chick peas, drained and washed
Generous handful of parsley, chopped finely (I use scissors for this)
1/2 cup (120ml) fresh lemon juice (juice of 1-2 lemons)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey (add more if the dressing is too sour for your taste)
2 tbsp seeded mustard
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground pepper
To Make The Rainbow Bean Salad
- Cut the green beans into inch sized pieces and steam for 3-5 minutes or until bright and tender (be careful not to
- over-steam them or they will be soggy). Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the beans are cooling, chop the capsicum and onion (if using) into small pieces.
- Combine beans, capsicum and onion with the remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl and stir to combine. Set aside while you make the dressing.
To Make The Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine. You may wish to add a bit more honey if the dressing is too sour for your taste.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the bean mixture and stir through (set the remaining dressing aside for people to add as desired).