This Carrot and Zucchini Cake is delicious; it is super moist and full of healthy nutrients. I am a BIG fan of putting vegetables in as many dishes as possible. I have made it numerous times with gluten free flour (Orgran gluten free flour) and it turns out beautifully, but it can be made with normal flour too if you prefer.
As all of my patients know, I love to cook healthy food, but I also generally need my recipes to be quick to throw together, this one takes the cake 🙂 . I bought a few zucchinis today, so tomorrow I shall retest this recipe and hopefully snap a few photos for you!
1.5 cups gluten-free flour
1 tsp all spice
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp bicarb of soda, sifted
2/3 cup coconut or rapadura sugar
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated zucchini
½ cup sultanas
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tbsp sunflower seeds, optional
185 g melted butter (for a dairy free version, use 150g coconut oil)
- Heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 21cm springform cake tin.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, before adding in the grated and zucchini.
- Add eggs and melted butter (or coconut oil).
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in tin for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
I haven’t tried making this recipe in a loaf tin or as cupcakes yet, but I’d love to hear how it goes if you happen to give it a go! If making cupcakes, you’ll need to reduce the cooking time though to make sure they don’t burn or become too dry.